Tuesday, October 25, 2011

A Modern-Day Saint

Cortez Cooper, Jr... a life well-lived. He died today and my heart is heavy for his family. Though he knew exactly where he was going and is now seeing Jesus face to face, the ones left behind have hard goodbyes to say. Corty was a pastor to thousands over his illustrious career, a devoted husband to Pat for 56 years, and was my girlfriend's father. Corty baptized my first two children in 1983 on the stage of Hillsboro High School, the meeting place for the newly formed Christ Presbyterian Church. Then nearly a quarter of a century later, he baptized my first grandchild. He was interim pastor at Chapelgate Presbyterian Church in Maryland where my daughter and her family attended. After the service, he and Pat joined our family at my daughter's home for lunch, and he entertained all of us that glorious afternoon with one joke after another.  We laughed until our sides ached. Simply put, he was larger than life. I will never forget this precious man. He did not know a stranger. I look forward to laughing again with him one day in Heaven.

1 comment:

  1. How many lives were eternally woven into Corty's selfless, powerful, gifted ministry? Unimaginable.

    ReplyDelete