Tuesday, November 22, 2011

A Southern Tradition

Boiled custard was always in attendance at Thanksgiving and Christmas growing up. Though delivered by the milkman, the creamy beverage was still enjoyed by everyone. Not until I married my husband had I ever had HOMEMADE boiled custard. I have developed my own recipe now which is made in the microwave and will tickle the tastebuds of your guests. Throw out your double boiler and get going. Using just 5 ingredients, this velvety concoction will prompt sweet memories of your own childhood. It is inexpensive to make and tastes so much better without the artificial preservatives present in what you buy at the grocery. Just one thing: you will need to be able to reduce your power in the microwave to 80% so as not to cook the eggs too fast. A cooking thermometer and a batter bowl & lid from Pampered Chef are helpful tools.


Boiled Custard
1 qt. whole milk
6 eggs
2/3 cup sugar
2 Tbsp. flour
2 Tbsp. vanilla


Whisk eggs together; combine sugar & flour;  stir all except vanilla together in 2-qt. batter bowl. Put on lid, then cook on 2-minute intervals in microwave, whisking between each interval. My microwave is small & takes 7 intervals. Yours may take less intervals. As it begins to thicken, check  temperature - custard is done once it reaches 160 degrees. Add vanilla when fully cooked. Allow to cool on the counter, whisking occasionally, then transfer to refrigerator. Will keep a week.

3 comments:

  1. I'm impressed that you developed a microwaved version that actually turns out well! I love boiled custard, but I'm a snob about it. I may have to try it this way this year. If it didn't take 45 minutes of constant stirring per batch, maybe I'd make more than a quart per year!

    ReplyDelete
  2. It is fine to take it to an internal temperature above 160, just not too much or eggs will misbehave. Forgot to post about straining if the bits bother your guests. The bits certainly authenticate the homemade piece, however, and some people enjoy that.

    ReplyDelete
  3. My family's VERY favorite dessert! I fight Hunter Bogitsh over it at Nana's every Christmas!

    ReplyDelete