Sunday, August 26, 2012

Coexisting With The Herd


   Houston, we have a problem. If you are Facebook friends with me or even a blog follower, you  know that I have a love/hate relationship with these critters from the woods. Last September I wrote a letter to the deer in a blog detailing the deterrent I was using at that time, Deer Off. It was entitled, "Deer Friend." Now I have another deterrent tip for you which was information shared with me at Home Depot earlier this summer. It is not marketed as deer deterrent, but I am finding it to be most effective this year and easier to apply than the mixing and spraying required by the Deer Off. It is a fertilizer called MILORGANITE. A sales representative from the manufacturer actually introduced me to it when I was looking for the Deer Off. He said it has fox urine in it and they have found it to be offensive to the deer. It is triple positive: 
  1) successfully keeps deer from munching on my prize landscaping though they are   obviously still here (photo taken this morning)
  2) application is simply sprinkling the fertilizer everywhere you want to keep them away - no watering in necessary! Unlike the Deer Off, rain is not washing it away and therefore leaving your landscaping unprotected until you can spray again.
  3) it is dirt cheap - 40 pound bag is around 12 bucks... yes, BUCKS...
   And oh, by the way, because it is fertilizer, you should see my oakleaf hydrangea. It has nearly covered a large window out front. Not one leaf chewed off. I have had a rabbit problem as well. They had eaten down the monkey grass to the nubbins this time last year. Not anymore. Beautiful all the way around this old ranch home. I have added my iris/daylily bed to the areas being treated just last week. It will be interesting to see if I have more than 3" of growth next spring in that pitiful bed. For the price it is worth trying the Milorganite. Set the alarm on your phone and apply monthly. It will take you 10 minutes or less. Good luck coexisting with the critters in your neighborhood.


No comments:

Post a Comment