Thursday, October 25, 2012

Meatloaf Improved

Recently I took a few more tips from my favorite Barefoot Contessa and doctored my meatloaf. The most significant change is that I sauteed the onions in a bit of oil before adding them to raw meat mixture. What a difference! No burps! I also shaped them into individual loaves, baked all of them, and froze the extra ones for later. They are so cute easy to take out when serving just one for dinner. The other tip I will share with you is one I have used for many years borrowed from the great magazine, Cook's Illustrated. I do not have a fancy "meatloaf pan." Rather, I use a cookie sheet with sides, place parchment on it, place a cooling rack on that, cover cooling rack with aluminum foil, punch holes in foil for grease draining, then finally, spray the foil with Pam. This way the meatloaf doesn't sit in the grease while baking, and the clean up is a snap. Who ever said meatloaf wasn't a meal fit for my king?


Barefoot Contessa Mini Meat Loaves
 sauté one minced onion in oil
 In large bowl combine the following:
 1 T tom paste (I omitted - see BBQ sauce below)
 3 T Worcestershire (I did not use quite this much)
 1/3 c chix stock (I used good BBQ sauce)
 salt & pepper
 2.5# ground beef
 2 eggs
1/2 cup bread crumbs (I used one hamburger bun)

Bake 350 for 40-45 min. I have baked these fully, cooled, then frozen for later. Perfect for single meal dining.
Makes 6 mini loaves.

No comments:

Post a Comment