Wednesday, June 29, 2011

Raising The Bar

What on earth is that thing? If you are anal-retentive about your counterspace like I am, this tip is for you. The magnetic knife bar is not a new concept. In fact, I first discovered one while touring the Smithsonian in Washington, DC, in 2004 while chaperoning my daughter's class trip. I stumbled upon Julia Child's newly donated kitchen exhibit and was completely spellbound for at least an hour, pouring over every detail of her masterful workshop. Her knife bar was hung vertically and was maybe 5 feet long and full of every kind of knife imaginable. Let's just say that history was made for me that moment. As soon as I got back, I began the search for one. I found mine through Chef's Catalog but have seen at Williams-Sonoma in San Francisco. Do not settle for the Amazon 10" one... not long enough. Get at least a 15" one. No more hunting for the right knife from that ridiculously heavy block which has set up camp on your precious counterspace. No more covered sheaths in the drawer for digging through. Go ahead - fill up that drawer with something else. And, oh by the way, the 5" knife on the far left... yep, you guessed it... a recent gift TOMEFROMME (translation: to me from me). Who knew that cutting could be so easy? And check out that ergonomically correct handle - you guessed it again... Pampered Chef. Another tip: if you live in Nashville, every November, Ace Hardware in Belle Meade (Frank Shope, owner) has a free knife sharpening along with a Second Harvest Food Bank Drive - 1 can donation = 1 knife sharpened - up to 5 knives. I go every year... usually more than one time! Put it on your November calendar, friends.

No comments:

Post a Comment