Thursday, February 9, 2012

Be My Valentine

     Thirty-four Valentine's Days ago, this dashing Naval officer asked me to marry him. Without hesitation I responded affirmatively, and what a wonderful life we are still sharing together. I wanted to do something original for this wonderful man for Valentine's Day and I decided to clean out his chest of drawers, straighten up his t-shirts and such, culling anything that might not be working (leaving that to your imagination... i.e. red satin). Then I began to search for scented drawer liners, thinking he might enjoy a fresh fragrance when opening his drawers. I allowed the Crabtree and Evelyn lady to talk me into a scent which I personally have enjoyed (Nantucket) but was somewhat hesitant to use for my masculine man. Sure enough, after 2 days he smelled a rat... or should I say, a flower. Not cool. So I emptied all of his drawers and ran the ceiling fan for a whole day to air things out while I embarked on a journey to try and find MEN's drawer liners. There are none. I am hoping that Crabtree and Evelyn will take my advice and manufacture some since they are carrying men's toiletries now. In the meantime, a couple of suggestions were given to me that I thought I would pass along for your Valentine...
1) Dryer fabric sheets - strong recommendation was given to me on a new Downey product in a black box - Orchid Allure - though I am having difficulty finding it.
2) Unscented dryer fabric sheets sprayed with nice men's cologne. The generous people at Nordstrom gave me several samples to try out for my project.
3) Yankee Candle Warming Disks - Midsummer's Night or Fluffy Towels scent. Available at Bed, Bath and Beyond. Leave in the plastic wrap except for a slit cut across the top. The employee had done this in drawers for her Valentine and the scent lasted nearly a year. 
     Even if he ultimately tells me that he is satisfied with the dull way his drawers smell, it has not been time wasted to try to do something nice for him. He is worth it!


3 comments:

  1. Your little niece, Grace, is now selling Scentsy, a wax product for making your house smell great without flame. They have some men's scents and car deodorizers, drawer things, etc. Give her a call!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great idea, Stacy! I like Trapp's Mediterranean Fig scent for the guys.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sandi, do you put those in drawers? Connie, will email Grace.

    ReplyDelete