Friday, September 16, 2011

My New Neighbor Nordstrom

When Tiffany's arrived in Nashville a few years ago the glossy, turquoise-colored boxes were not really my thing. Not that I don't love diamonds, but I have another friend that I trust with that department. However, since the announcement several years ago that Nordstrom was moving in, I began to salivate. I have been a Nordstrom groupie for more than two decades because my husband can get dress shoes at good prices, and he wears a petite size 14 - very hard to find. So every time we would travel to large cities, Nordstrom always was on our list. It did not take long for me to venture outside the world of men's shoes to areas of even more interest: world-class fragrances, New York fashion, knowledgable staff, and shoes.for.me.sigh.

To celebrate my forever girlfriend's birthday, we attended the pre-opening private Gala. Since our friendship goes all the way back to sixth grade, it was a most fitting occasion because we used to run around Green Hills Village together during the days of Cross Keys Restaurant, Family Booterie, and Petway-Reavis. The new Nordstrom store is, of course, beautifully decorated and Nashville has welcomed it like royalty. From the first canapé to the incredible dessert shooters - mojito and vodka raspberry - the gala was a "happenin." There was such a festive atmosphere that night... it was like being a child at Disney World! When we entered the playground, we were given elegant black satin drawstring bags with empty vials for sample gathering. Waiters greeted us with trays of champagne and vodka cocktails, so we were at once easy prey for the astute cosmetic pros. Off we were swooped to nice chairs with an array of brushes, tinctures, and fluffing. While crowds gathered at the buffet tables, we were much more drawn to the ambiance. Trying to take in every detail we could, it became clear to me that I would have to return... and soon.

And the people watching was even more interesting. Some arrived in limousines, some with girly groups like the SexInTheCity types, and some ladies just glad to be out donning dresses from their last child's wedding. We were both amazed at the large number of men attending the gala... my eye doctor was at the bar and offered to buy me a drink - ha. Big spender. Then there were the flown-in professional models. They paraded in to their risers, struck a pose, stayed there for 20 minutes or so, then on queue they paraded out, changed outfits, and marched back in to their spots. One designer at a time, the couture was simply over the top. The models all looked like they had stepped out of Vogue magazine. I could have been content to sit and watch just this all night, but there was so much more. The rabbit vest, the fabulous faux pashmina my friend bought, the attendant in the restroom to brush off your lent while you washed your hands. the glistening jewelry, the complimentary umbrellas to help us out to the downpour... so much fun bottled into one night that I simply HAD to return two days later for the grand opening.

The grand opening began with a teaser: free makeover extravaganza in the mall corridor two hours before the store opened. It was there that I met a new MAC friend, Marissa Christina. Before you say, "That could not be her name," I assure you that was. The very sound of it evokes memories of the sweater I had with the Dickens village all the way around my hips (and matching skirt). Then there was the M&M sweater my former boss had who was teaching 6th grade at the time. She was so clever that she awarded students with M&Ms on the day she wore the sweater. Another friend had enough Marissa Christina Christmas sweaters for every day of the December school calendar. My new friend, Marissa, gave me a number of new tips to try with MAC. Then into the store and the general public... still excitement and spending... by far it appeared to me that the most popular department besides the cosmetic counter was the ladies shoes. When I heard on the loudspeaker, "Now serving guest # whatever," it was a throwback to the day when Baskin-Robbins moved into West Meade. Take a number... oh, what fun... and so much more than ice cream. Pandemonium might be a bit of an exaggeration, but it was thrilling to witness people having fun shopping in a new place.
 Then there was the trip back to the ladies' room. I had not noticed the night of the Gala a feature completely new to any public restroom I have ever used: right at the exit door a paper dispenser for your hands to cover the nasty door handle AND a wastebasket directly below to deposit the tissue. Green Hills Mall ladies' rooms could take a hint from their newest tenant. Since their restrooms have NO paper except for toilet tissue, it is virtually impossible to keep your hands clean when you use those facilities.

Nordstrom has raised the bar... even for Green Hills. Welcome, New Neighbor.

No comments:

Post a Comment