Thursday, August 18, 2011

The First Of The Season

We enjoyed the first of the season's butter beans from my freezer tonight along with rump roast, fresh spinach and mushrooms, sliced homegrown tomatoes, and grapefruit sections. If you are interested in putting butter beans in your freezer, there are tips on the August 5th blogpost since they must be blanched before freezing. Today I took a bag out of the freezer, covered the beans with water, salt & pepper, brought them to a boil, then simmered for 90 minutes. These beans want to bubble up and out of the pot, so do what my mama taught me to do 30 years ago... take a stick of butter around the sides of your pot and lightly rub with butter. You won't use much butter at all. This will be plenty of flavoring for the beans, although my mama added additional butter to the cooked beans. Country cooking with a little more heart health in mind. Happy eating!

No comments:

Post a Comment