Friday, August 26, 2011

God Gave Angels Wings & Humans Chocolate

Chocolate gives me that sort of lift. Back in the 1970s, I fell in love with a cake a friend's mom made regularly called Chocolate Chip Cake which had a bar of German's chocolate grated in it. I used to grate the bar on a cheese grater and took off skin since it required a fair amount of pressure to grate on the sharp metal piece. In 1980 when I had my first child, my husband gave me a Cuisinart, and my life was instantly better. No more of my flesh in the Chocolate Chip Cake. In 1999 Anne Byrn, native Nashvillian, published a cookbook entitled, The Cake Mix Doctor, and she printed with permission my cake recipe. In 2010 having sold 1.6 million copies, she released The Cake Mix Doctor Returns. Costco began selling her newest release, and she was interviewed in the May 2010 Costco Connection magazine. She was asked to choose her top 3 cakes, and yes, my Chocolate Chip Cake made Costco news. It has been a family favorite all of my married life for several reasons: 1) minimal number of ingredients, 2) freezes well, 3) travels by U.S. Postmaster well, 4) easy to serve in vehicle when traveling with family, and 5) most importantly, delicious!  In case you do not have a copy of The Cake Mix Doctor, here is the recipe for Chocolate Chip Cake. And with the new DARK CHOCOLATE chips, wow... surely you will be flying, too.

Chocolate Chip Cake

  • 1 box Duncan Hines Butter Recipe Golden Cake Mix
  • 1 small box instant vanilla pudding
  • 1 pkg. (6.5oz) chocolate chips*                                                                                          
  • 1-4oz. pkg. Baker’s German's Sweet Chocolate
  • 1 cup oil
  • 1 cup milk
  • 4 eggs                 
  • Baker’s Joy cooking spray


1. In Cuisinart with steel knife inserted, drop (one at a time) 1” squares of German chocolate. Chop until fine.
2. Combine in large mixing bowl milk, oil & eggs.  Add cake mix, pudding mix, chocolate chips, & chopped German chocolate. Mix well.
3. Grease pans with Baker’s Joy cooking spray. Bake 325° in tube pan or 2 loaf pans for an hour or until done.
*tip: The “mini” chips work well if your choc. chips want to stick.

3 comments:

  1. So glad... I have had so much response from this post. I guess I have worn out this recipe over the years!

    ReplyDelete