Wednesday, August 31, 2011

Gone But Not Forgotten

Well, of course, the camo onesie has a story. In early 1983, I flew to D.C. with an infant nursing son in tow to visit a high school friend whose husband was a Marine. We went to a benefit silent auction and this was my contribution to the evening. Paid 40 bucks for it and worried if my husband would have a fit. It became my most favorite yardwork outfit for 2 reasons: mosquito and sun protection. Its best story was later that spring of 1983 when my dear brother-in-law did not have on the right clothes to help my husband trim back large trees, so he borrowed my camo. We were still new to the neighborhood, so the man from next door came over to investigate. SInce the onesie quickly become my favorite yardwork apparel and I was push-mowing our near 2-acre yard (and 5 months pregnant) when we first moved here in 1982, he naturally thought I was way up in the tree with the chainsaw. We are still laughing about that day. My mother-in-law had repaired the seat of my camo so many times that I did not have the nerve to ask her again. Therefore, I retired the jumpsuit officially last week. Lamenting its loss, I am pressing forward with my Wal-Mart Liberty overalls. The Few, The Proud, The Marine... not really...

1 comment:

  1. Ohmigosh! so funny! Will miss the camo. But they deserve to be retired. I don't think Mark could fit in them anymore!

    ReplyDelete