Friday, August 5, 2011

To Market, To Market, To Find A Fat Pig

Maybe not to find a fat pig but the butter beans were so beautiful at the Farmer's Market this week that I had to get some in the freezer. Tomatoes, peaches, and honey for my allergies were all part of the run this week, too. I took my rigged up pullcart so that I could be efficient in my shopping. The butter beans need to be blanched which is a very quick process. In your soup pot, bring to a boil water about 2/3 full in your pot. Have a timer handy and drop butter beans in the boiling water for 2 minutes. Then plunge beans in ice cold water in your sink, adding ice to cool down quickly. Drain quickly and thoroughly and place in 1 quart bags. Freeze flat, then store upright in baskets for using later. I bought a 10 pound bag of butter beans for around $35, and it yielded 6 full quarts of blanched beans. When you get ready to cook beans, cover them with water, bring to boil, then simmer for about 90 minutes with a little butter, salt, and pepper. Rub the inside of your pan with a bit of butter to keep from boiling over. Country Road... take me home... to the place... I belong... thanks, John Denver.

No comments:

Post a Comment