Friday, August 19, 2011

Magic In A Can

Whoever invented Eagle Brand Sweetened Condensed Milk is surely a wealthy individual. I have loved cooking with that velvety product for years. My mother used to make caramel pie with it just like O'Charley's Restaurant once served. Unbelievably, she cooked the unopened can over low heat for 2 hours in a water bath. I put a new twist to the caramel pie recently by serving the cooked caramel in pretty sherbet stemware topped with whipped cream with a wedge of baked pie crust on the dessert plate... sort of upside down caramel pie. I named it Caramel Custard. My granddaughter was visiting when I served it, and she went nuts over it. She even drew me a picture of it that night. It is very rich, so it doesn't take much for a serving... maybe 1/4 cup or so. Very elegant and 1 ingredient: MAGIC!





Caramel Custard

In large pot, cover Eagle Brand with water at least an inch over top of can. Bring to boil, then turn heat to simmer, keeping can covered with hot water at all times. I heated additional water in microwave to pour over. You will only have to do this a couple of times. After 2 hours, carefully remove can from pot and allow to cool thoroughly. Spoon into sherbet glasses and cover with plastic, then place in refrigerator until ready to serve. Top with whipped cream and a wedge of baked pie crust.

3 comments:

  1. I had forgotten about that "magic." Might have to try it this weekend! I love the pie wedges idea! I guess you just cut the wedges and bake. Did you prick them?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Would be better that way... I actually baked whole crust, then cut with my PC pizza cutter. Will do your way next time... By the way... you are my greatest fan!

    ReplyDelete
  3. always have been.. excuse my punctuation. i'm typing one-handed. baby in my arms :)

    ReplyDelete