Tuesday, August 2, 2011

Pimiento Cheese, Yes Please

My husband's mother makes a concoction of homemade pimiento cheese that I fell in love with about the same time I fell in love with her son almost 34 years ago. Using only 5 ingredients, it is very simple and loved by all of my family and friends. It is a constant companion on beach trips and is often present at family gatherings at our home. It does require a good food processor to grate the cheese. I have put my own touches on MIL's (mother-in-law's) recipe over the years, so tweek it as you see fit. I prefer the Black Diamond brand of sharp white cheddar cheese available at Sam's, and I also prefer Hellman's mayonnaise. You can clean out your cheese drawer with any other bits and pieces of cheese you may need to use up, too.


1.5# block of high grade cheddar cheese
2 - 4 oz. jars diced pimientoes
some juice from the jar of sweet pickles
mayonnaise to taste
lots of pepper


Serve as sandwiches or with crackers or in celery boats (or on a spoon right out of the jar).

3 comments:

  1. Good job, Stacy! It is a family staple. I guess we've all tweaked a little over the years. I've always used eight ounces of each of the following:
    Mild Cheddar
    Medium Cheddar
    Sharp Cheddar
    Colby
    I use maybe a tablespoon of the sweet pickle vinegar and about a half teaspoon of sugar in the whole batch. I also prefer Hellman's Mayo.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Shut up! I just made my first batch ever tonight, just by coincidence. I called Nanny and got the recipe last week as per Chachi's request. He loves Nanny's pimento cheese! He said I make it just like her. Nanny adds about a teaspoon of sugar and she told me "less than 1/4 c sweet pickle vinegar"

    ReplyDelete
  3. Grace, You are such a good wife! Hope you and Chachi are well. Have a great start to your school year.

    ReplyDelete