Tuesday, August 9, 2011

Location, Location, Location

I have had a request from a lifetime cookfriend who claims that I actually helped her organize her first kitchen before I was even married! I have no recollection of the event, but she is quite certain it occurred. She even told me a couple of suggestions I made which she is still implementing 35 years later! The main principle to remember when trying to make your kitchen more efficient is to think: PRIME REAL ESTATE - most essential items in the easiest-to-get-to spots.  Here are a few tips that have helped me for years:         
1. Store glassware beside refrigerator with counterspace for easy serving. This also creates a separate work station that is not under your feet in sink area. When someone offers to help get the meal on the table, the answer is SURE! Do beverages!
2. Store silverware/plates nearest dishwasher. Plates are heavy and silverware is numerous.
3. Use a vertical file stand to store your cutting boards near sink area for easy access.
4. Store placemats near table for easy pull out and put away.
5. Use desk organizer plastic trays in drawers to keep small things organized. One tray for chip clips, twist ties, straws, rubber bands. I even use one compartment for my grands' silverware for easy finding. They love knowing I have silverware just their size. A tray in another drawer has barware accessories: wine corks, garnish picks, wine openers, citrus press, etc. Still another drawer has a utility tray of Sharpee markers, scissors, candlelighters, matches, batteries, adhesives (strapping tape, scotch tape, Gorilla glue), flashlights, straight-edge razor blades.
5. Place cleaning supplies under your sink in a plastic bin for easy removal if any leaks occur. Having things in bins also allows you to pull out numerous bottles at one time to get to other items way back that you don't need as often. Again, prime real estate in the front.
6. Keep disposable gloves under kitchen sink for handling raw meat. They are very cheap when you buy a box of 500 from Costco or Sam's. I like to use them for myriad chores: washing and preparing meat & produce, handling dough, boning cooked chicken. I like to keep my hands nice and out of the water & muck. 

As real estate agents tell us over and over, location - location - location. A good word when you are trying to put your kitchen in tiptop working order.

4 comments:

  1. I was that young bride and have shared many of these tips with others. I love REALLY knowing where everything is and in an efficient location. Thanks, Sister!

    ReplyDelete
  2. those are some great tips! i need to use the one for cutting boards for sure! i will have to look back at this list when Justin and I buy our first house next summer!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Been missing my "Honey Hints" the past few! Know you are enjoying the grands! I sure am!

    ReplyDelete
  4. To sweet&spice queen - watch yard sales for a file folder vertical rack since you have the time. I feel sure one will appear for you before next summer... probably for 50 cents!

    ReplyDelete