Monday, July 18, 2011

Cool It


When my parents died and I had to clean out their home of 50 years, there was weeks' worth of sorting, tossing, and decision-making to do in order to empty the place. Having been brought home from Vanderbilt Hospital to this ranch-style home in 1958, I did all of my growing up here. So many memories in one place. The song, "The House That Built Me," pretty well sums it up. Thank you to Tom Douglas for penning another great one. One particular item that has found its way on my kitchen countertop is a small fan. I'm sure that my mom's primary purpose for it was to cool her off. With Dad on blood thinner for many years coupled with her extra weight, disagreements about the thermostat were frequent. This little piece of equipment has done so much more for me! I use the little fan to quick-dry baked goods, chocolate-dipped strawberries, and handwashed pots and pans (I have tons of these... there is not a dishwasher big enough to hold all of my messes). I even put my fresh produce in a colander in front of it for a quick-dry instead of wasting a half dozen paper towels. And all the while I am receiving the nicest little breeze for my own personal "hot" issues! Get one now while the selection is good. They are harder to find out of season. And Mom, thank you for one of my favorite kitchen helpers.
Love, Your Biggest Fan

2 comments:

  1. I have a fan about 6 inches in diameter that I bought at Walmart for $5.00. I keep it in my sewing room for those "power surges" I have. I also take it to sewing classes with me to keep me cool in those studios warmed by the constant irons that are on! Now I'll move it to the kitchen as needed. Check it out at Walmart. I also saw these at Target. Mine is red. Surprise.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love it! Oh, and I have a clip-on fan in my bathroom to help me keep my make-up from running off my face!

    ReplyDelete