Wednesday, July 13, 2011

Puttin' Up Peaches

As delicious as southern peaches are during the summer, I have them all year long because I put them in the freezer. They are delicious in pies, cobblers, frozen smoothies, bellinis... oh, such happiness. I have had a request on what I do to "put up" peaches, so here is the procedure I have used for over 3 decades. 


You will need: nice peaches, Fruit Fresh (available at any grocery), colander, bowls, freezer bags (I use quart size), cookie sheets.
1. Allow peaches to ripen a bit on the counter before peeling. They will ripen at different rates, so it may take you a couple of days to finish process. Be patient - your efforts will pay off.
2. Mix 2 Tbsp. of Fruit Fresh with 2 qts. water in a very large bowl. You will use this same solution over and over. 
3. Peel and slice 2 qts. of peaches. (I only do this much at a time so that peaches do not have time to darken before getting to freezer). Dip these peaches into the bowl of FF solution quickly, gently stirring to coat. Drain peaches in colander, reserving the FF solution for next use. When peaches are thoroughly drained, slip them into qt. bags, place flat on cookie sheet, and set in freezer. By freezing flat, they can be stored upright in freezer baskets once solid. Great for organizing space in freezer.
4. Be sure and eat as many as you can while they are fresh!
5. If you think you will use peaches often for smoothies and bellinis, you may want to put some in the snack bag-size, too. Just right for that summer cocktail. 
6. To use, thaw peaches quickly in microwave on defrost. If you leave them in sink to thaw all day, you will compromise the texture and color of the peach. Thaw quickly and get baking! 

1 comment:

  1. Just put up my peaches. Got 4 quarts for the freezer and about 6 cups for immediate use out of 42 peaches. Because I tend to make messes when I do this sort of thing, I used the new Pampered Chef Scoop N Drain to move my peaches from the fruit fresh solution to my small ancient Tupperware strainer. It held the perfect amount for my ONE QUART bags. Thanks for the step by step directions! Gonna get more next weekend when they come back from Hill Country!

    ReplyDelete