Friday, July 22, 2011

Suck It Up

A little Consumer Reports here on my one of my new favorite home appliances... my Hoover vacuum cleaner! It must be that instant gratification vacumming gives me because I love to vacuum. My 20 year old Panasonic died on me a year ago. It had been a really good one and expensive at the time - over $500... canister-style. The motor actually smoked & put out this acrid odor, so it was obviously more than burning up a belt. I am sort of hard on appliances, and perhaps I had gotten my money's worth. Anyway, I consulted a cookfriend who also really loves to keep house, and I knew what a savvy shopper she was. I already knew that Orecks and Dysons were popular brands, but I wasn't yet convinced. My introduction to the Hoover Platinum was love at first sight. Most of my floors are bare, though I do have some carpet, so the fact that I was getting 2 vacuum cleaners for the price of one was very appealing. The Hoover Platinum has an upright unit along with a separate shoulder-strapped attachment unit. Both units are very lightweight. . I can do a full sweat-breaking workout with my little attachment unit... bend and snap, bend and snap. Reach and stretch, reach and stretch. When my 4 children were little, my housework really was my workout... no gym memberships, no daily jogs... so I really busted it when it came to my job of keeping our home. The best part of all... are you ready? The total vacuum cleaner price is under $300... for both vacuums! Not even believable. The way I see it, I can buy 2 of the Hoovers over the next 10 years and still come out ahead of the Oreck or Dyson... that's actually 4 vacuum cleaners. Maybe my husband won't have to disassemble and repair any of those! Thirty-six hours before my dad took his last breath, he said to me at Hospice that "Ganny" (my mom who had passed away already) was in the hall vacuuming. It was actually the custodian. Mom also loved to vacuum... guess it is in my DNA.

1 comment: