Tuesday, July 19, 2011

Zappy-oca... That Custard Thing


 If you have not seen the movie, "New In Town," I highly recommend it. What a story of becoming a friend to someone a little different from yourself. I actually disturbed my husband and my other plane-mate by laughing out loud so much! I have had a request recently from a young single friend for my Banana Pudding. This recipe, like so many others, is one which a cookfriend shared with me long ago. She uses the same basic custard (zappy-oca!) on her Boston Creme Cake, and I have been so grateful that she shared it with me. My husband's all-time favorite dessert is Coconut Cream Pie. One tool I strongly recommend for this versatile custard recipe is the Pampered Chef large batter bowl since the custard is cooked in the microwave. The lid is perfectly fitted to allow a little steam to escape but keeps most of the heat in. No splatters or blow ups. The PC trifle bowl with lid is fabulous for pretty presentation and storage. (For those readers who do not know me, I do have a terrific PC director I recommend! You can send me a message if you need her contact information.) The custard is outstanding plain, too. I have a friend who had esophageal surgery this spring and could not have solid food for months. I took her custard! After all of the yogurt she had been eating, it was a welcomed change. Perhaps the greatest thing about making the custard is that I always have the ingredients: sugar, cornstarch, butter, milk, eggs, and "good" vanilla!

Banana Pudding, Chocolate Icebox Pie, or Coconut Cream Pie

bananas                vanilla wafers                      custard                        whipped cream

Custard: In batter bowl, combine ¾ cup sugar, ¼ cup cornstarch, 1/8 tsp. salt. Stir in 2 cups milk & 2 egg yolks. Cover with lid and microwave on 2 minute intervals until thick, whisking between each 2 minute interval. This will take 3 or 4 intervals. Remove from heat. Then add 2 Tbsp. butter, ½ can crème de coconut (optional), & 1 tsp. vanilla. Cool on the counter, then refrigerate.

layer: bananas, vanilla wafers, custard, repeat; top with whipped cream.

This can be altered slightly to make coconut icebox pie or chocolate icebox pie using same basic custard. For coconut, use 4 whole eggs, and add 1 can of coconut when you add butter and vanilla during cooling. Garnish with toasted or colored coconut for whatever occasion… red/green Christmas, red/blue for 4th of July or Memorial Day, green for Easter, orange for fall, etc.
For Chocolate Icebox Pie, use 4 whole eggs, omit coconut and blend ¼ cup cocoa to the sugar/cornstarch mixture. Garnish with chocolate shavings.

2 comments:

  1. Oh, yum. I didn't have the cornstarch ingredient and my lemon curd still turned out great. I'll definitely add it and have GOT to try the coconut creme...even though I'm not a huge coconut fan, I do love coconut creme pie! AND the chocolate! sounds so great.....weight (pun intended), I'm trying to watch it! Ohhhhh nooooo!

    ReplyDelete
  2. c'est bon ou pas je suis français

    ReplyDelete