Saturday, July 2, 2011

Showing My Colors

My mother always loved patriotic holidays, especially the 4th of July. American flags would be everywhere... stuck in her patio flower pots, added to her plastic fruit arrangements inside, you name it. Food would be great, too, but not fancy. Always deviled eggs, potato salad, pork shoulder, watermelon. She preferred to bake cakes over cookies, and never cut cookies. Too much fuss, she would say. I, however, love to do cut cookies, but the decorating part has historically given me some problems. I have a wonderfully delicious tea cookie recipe which a friend shared with me long ago, but the decorating was not my strongsuit. So much work for the cookies to look pathetic. This summer I have taken the bull by the horns and tried to improve the icing part, especially in the "bleeding" department. I have done sunflowers for favors for a bridesmaid luncheon and regular flowers for another event's favor. Needless to say, I am pretty tickled with myself!


Things I have learned this summer: 
1) Sugar Drop in Brentwood is a great resource, both staff and supplies. 
2) Use Americolor instead of Wilton color - better tasting and much easier to dispense in the little squeeze bottles. Unfortunately, not available at my favorite Wal-Mart, but Sugar Drop carries every color in the rainbow.
3) Use the CK Royal Icing Mix (just add water) which is available at Sugar Drop. Consistently excellent.
4) Let color on the cookies dry at least 6 hrs. before adding additional color. 
5) Elevate the cookies to ice them on TALL cooling racks  so that you are not stooped over  while working (my stackable Pampered Chef are the best).
6) Use a fan to help icing set before moving to Tupperware to let dry fully.
7) Cookies can be baked, cooled, then frozen ahead of time before you are ready to ice them. It is not recommended to freeze them after icing.
8) Research the internet... great information/pictures/YouTube demos there on decorating tips for cookies.


Here's to the red, white, and blue! Show your colors!!!

4 comments:

  1. You make it look so easy! They are so beautiful! However in my messiest cook in the country world, I know I would have red, white and blue all over me and the counters! I'll live vicariously through you until my confidence grows a bit! Love you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You have been making cut cookies at Christmas for years, sista. You are one of my inspirations!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Mine never looked that good! I only so simple one-color ones. AND only at Christmas!

    ReplyDelete
  4. So, show your colors! Your beloved's birthday upcoming...

    ReplyDelete