Sunday, July 10, 2011

The Newest In Nails

My great grandmother always said that your hands were made for working. I am hard on my hands since I cook, garden, clean, etc., but I love to have pretty nails. I have always done my own fingernails and have tried all kinds of tricks to preserve them, even with the newly developed OPI product called OPI Drip-Dri. Still, in a few days I would bang one or chip another and the whole process of scraping off the polish and flaking off the nails begins again. This summer I have been introduced to the newest in nail polish service called a shellac or gel polish. This is not to be confused with an acrylic nail involving glue, drills, potential for fungal growth, etc., plus requiring every 2-week maintenance. I like my own nails and if you do, too, then this in information for you. The first photo of hot pink nails is a 26-day-old manicure from Venetian in Green Hills - almost a month. I have not touched up polish nor had one chip develop. The only drawback I have found in the gel/shellac manicure is that UV light is required to make it set. Being the no-sun person that I am, the UV light presented a problem but not for long. Cut the tips out of an old pair of gardening gloves or a get a cheap pair of white gloves from Sally's Beauty Supply or Claire's, and PRESTO... no UV light exposure on your hands. Your nails have never looked so good for so long!

1 comment:

  1. I LOVE getting gel manicures and your way to avoid those UV rays is perfect!! :)

    ReplyDelete