Saturday, July 9, 2011

Grease + Pipes = Disaster

A new bride has requested advice on this subject, so if the title was not clear enough, here is the skinny. My beloved husband - electrician/hvac pro/father to my 4/ Papa to my 4 grands/Vandy grad cum laude/smartest -man-I-have-ever-known and, oh yes, PLUMBER, has taught me so much. The last time I poured grease down my kitchen sink, he made me look inside the cross-section of my pipe. Since I am very much a visual learner, the sight of the grunge clogging my pipes left an indelible print in my mind... besides the grunge, varmints live in the grunge. Sort of like the cholesterol in your arteries (though varmints may not live there). I have never poured grease (or much else but water) down my pipes since that historical date at least 20 years ago. Guess what, no back ups in the sink since either (same house, of course). Since many young brides think that having bacon is reheating pre-cooked bacon in the microwave, this may not be pertinent information for you. If, however, you are a traditionalist and like your bacon skillet-cooked and crispy, here is some information. The best way to get rid of grease and contain the smell is to secure a discarded can, pour the slightly cooled grease into that can over the sink, then place can in freezer. Wipe sink with paper towel if any grease dribbled there. Next morning or anytime thereafter, throw entire thing in trash. Your freezer will not smell. The other method is to pour slightly cooled grease into glass bowl, let it solidify, then scrape bowl thoroughly into trash. The problem here is the smell tends to linger. Not the most appetizing of subjects, but taking care of your pipes is very important to avert disaster. 

1 comment:

  1. Great advice. I also do not put potato or carrot peelings in my disposal either. That's the voice of experience there as well.

    I'm so enjoying your informative blog. I've given it to several of my friends here in Texas, so you may be getting a "following" from around the country from people you don't know!

    ReplyDelete